Herringbone Block1:19:00 PM
For part of my block exchange with a close friend, I decided to make herringbone blocks, 12.5"x12.5". I used Holly's tutorial over at Bijou Lovely as a guide. Below are my steps/tips/pictures from the project.
(For each block)
14 strips of fabric, 2.5" x 11"
Assume 1/4" seam allowance.
1. At random, pick 2 groups of 3 strips.
2. Sew 3 strips together lengthwise; create a second set of 3 strips sewn together.
3. Press seams all in the same direction.
4. To the bottom of one set, sew a single strip, offsetting it by 1.5". Press seam in the same direction as others.
5. Attach other set of 3 sewn strips to the bottom of the newly added strip, offsetting by another 1.5". Press.
6. Now you have a nice long set of strips, staggered, as shown in the picture below.
7. As shown below: Align the bottom of your ruler, one corner at the intersection of strips 2 & 3, the other bottom corner with the bottom edge of the lowest strip.
8. Cut along bottom of ruler.
9. Cut along sides of ruler.
10. Slide ruler down and cut top of strips at a point measuring 12.5" from the finished bottom.
11. Repeat for other side of the block, staggering your strips from the opposite side this time.
12. Join the two finished sides together, nesting your opposite-pressed seams, then pressing the seam open.
|remember to nest your seams|