FYI Friday: we've cut a long way, baby!11:32:00 PM
I got this really cool second-hand book for Christmas from my husband. It's called "Better Homes & Gardens: SEWING BOOK - Sewing how-to for home and family" -
published in 1961.
I love it. It's really fun to read, actually. To see what kind of tools were used 'way back when', techniques for making crazy-cut out bedspreads, types of "Glamour Trims" and how they "add beauty to evening fashions", how to make a Barrel-Shape skirt (wowzas), etc.
When my Grandma was sewing all of her and her kid's clothes, this is the type of book she would have been consulting. I find that 'sew' cool.
On the first few pages there are a list of 'must have tools'.
And I've been sewing for 20 years and never had a pair of pinking shears until this Christmas. But these might have been a necessity in '61. Embroidery scissors - ya, I've got a pair - they're great for trimming threads and to have handy while I English paper-piece.
No such thing as the rotary cutter back then! You had to cut your quilt pieces by hand; as a matter of fact, women (and men!) would have to wait 18 more years for the revolutionary tool - the rotary cutter wasn't invented until 1979 by Yoshio Okada, the founder of the Olfa company.(2)
His inspiration for the cutter?
A rotating car tire(2).
|The original Olfa Rotary Cutter (1979) (2)|
|Left to right, top to bottom (3-8):|
Edge, Pressure Sensitive Omni, TrueCut,
Ergo Fiskars, Left-handed Gingher, OLFA.
The time we save with this invention is astronomical - imagine having to cut everything by hand! And our accuracy has drastically increased as well.
There ya go. Did you learn anything today? :)
(1) Better Homes & Gardens: "SEWING BOOK - sewing how-to for home & family" (1961) Meredeith Publishing Company, U.S.A. pg 10.
(2) Extracted January 6, 2013. "Olfa marks 30th Anniversary of Rotary Cutter Invention". FonsandPorter.com. http://www.fonsandporter.com/content_downloads/FP-CP-188_Olfa_20090427_NEWSRELEASE-OLFAMarks30YearsOfRotaryCutter.pdf
(3) Extracted January 6, 2013. "Edge Rotary Cutter". Sullivans.net. http://www.sullivans.net/usa/edge/images/rotary-cutter/rotarycutter45.jpg
(4) Extracted January 6, 2013. "Pressure Sensitive Omni Grid Rotary". Prym Consumer USA Inc. http://www.dritz.com/brands/showcase/details.php?ITEM_NUM=2050
(5) Extracted January 6, 2013. "TrueCut My Comfort Cutter". TrueCut.com. http://truecut.graceframe.com/cart/cutters/my-comfort-cutter-20.html
(6) Extracted January 6, 2013. "Ergo Control Rotary Cutter". Fiskars.com. http://www2.fiskars.com/Sewing-Quilting/Products/Rotary-Cutters-and-Blades/Ergo-Control-Rotary-Cutter-45-mm#.UOo6KuQ0WSo
(7) Extracted January 6, 2013. "45mm Left Hand Rotary Cutter". Gingher.com. http://www.gingher.com/product/45mm-left-hand-rotary-cutter/184/
(8) Extracted January 6, 2013. "45mm Deluxe Ergonomic Rotary Cutter". OLFA.com. http://www.olfa.com/RotaryCuttersDetail.aspx?C=2&Id=5